Willkommen Gast.
Wenn dies Dein erster Besuch hier ist, lies bitte zuerst die Hilfe - Häufig gestellte Fragen durch. Du musst Dich vermutlich Einloggen oder Registrieren, bevor Du Beiträge verfassen kannst. Klicke auf den "Registrieren" Link, um den Registrierungsprozess zu starten. Du kannst aber auch jetzt schon Beiträge lesen. Suche Dir einfach das Forum aus, das Dich am meisten interessiert.

info4alien.de

ÜbersichtHilfeSuchenEinloggenRegistrierenKontakt Spenden  

Seitenindex umschalten Seiten: 1
Thema versenden Drucken
Australian emergency passport for application for residence permit (Gelesen: 2.341 mal)
aus51%t?
Themenstarter Themenstarter

i4a rocks!

Beziehung zum Thema Ausländerrecht: Ich bin selbst Ausländer/in
Staatsangehörigkeit: Australian
Zeige den Link zu diesem Beitrag Australian emergency passport for application for residence permit
04.09.2022 um 17:00:13

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

I am an Australian citizen who is enrolled at Freie Universität in Berlin to study Law for 5 months during their winter semester (October 2022 - February 2023). I am currently traveling and while I was in Italy unfortunately my Australian passport was lost. This was extremely distressing for me considering all the planning, effort and money I had put in for my 5 month exchange in Berlin to study law. I organized for an emergency passport when I was in Italy. I arrive in Berlin on 23.09.2022 and I have booked an appointment with the Australian embassy in Berlin for the closest business day, 26.09.2022 for a new Australian passport. My flight home is on 25.02.2023

My emergency passport will expire 03.03.2023 (validity of 7 months). My new passport, which I will obtain once it arrives in Berlin, will have a 10-year validity.  I have been informed by the Australian embassy in Berlin that my emergency Australian passport is valid for me to enter Berlin in accordance with the Schengen Agreement. I was told that I am able to enter into Berlin, apply for a new passport and wait for its arrival there.  I have also contacted the German embassy in Australia (Corinna Hell, Vice Consul), who told me the following: 'the Immigration Office should accept your emergency passport if it is an accepted travel document but in order to get clarification on this please contact the Immigration Office'.

I have also consulted https://www.consilium.europa.eu/prado/en/prado-recognized-documents.html where it is stated by the Council of the European Union (endorsed by Member States) that in Germany, an Australian emergency passport is a recognized travel document capable of having a VISA endorsed with it. 

Furthermore, I have considered Section 3 of the Residence Act (Passport Requirement) and read it together with Section 5 (General prerequisites for granting residence titles) where it states that one of the prerequisites is the Section 3 Passport Requirement being met. Section 3 states that:

(1) Foreigners may enter or stay in the federal territory only if they possess a recognized and valid passport or passport substitute, unless they are exempt from the passport requirement by virtue of a statutory instrument. For the purpose of residence in the federal territory, possession of a substitute identity document also suffices in order to meet the passport requirement (section 48 (2)). 

(2) In justified individual cases, the Federal Ministry of the Interior or the body designated by it may allow exemptions from the passport requirement for the purpose of crossing the border before the foreigner enters the federal territory, and for a subsequent stay of up to six months.

On the above identified bases, am I able to submit my emergency Australian passport to the immigration office, along with the receipt that I obtain for my Full Australian passport for my residence permit application? I have all documentation including Birth Certificate, an old expired passport and a Citizenship certificate that I can bring to an appointment.

I will be able to obtain a German blocked bank account as soon as I enter Berlin, my appointment at the Bürgeramt is on October 27th, and I have otherwise obtained a certificate of enrolment and proof of insurance. 

My second question is, how is the 90 days in accordance with the Schengen Agreement calculated while I am awaiting an appointment at the Immigration Office? That is, will the calculation of my 90 days resume when a) I get to the appointment or b) once a decision about my VISA is reached?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Jenny
Zum Seitenanfang

IP gespeichert

T.P.2013
Silver Member

blubb

Im Norden, Germany
Im Norden
Germany
Stimmung:

Beziehung zum Thema Ausländerrecht: Ehegatte von Ausländer/in
Staatsangehörigkeit: deutsch
Zeige den Link zu diesem Beitrag Re: Australian emergency passport for application for residence permit
Antwort #1 - 05.09.2022 um 02:45:53

aus51%t? schrieb am 04.09.2022 um 17:00:13:
On the above identified bases, am I able to submit my emergency Australian passport to the immigration office, along with the receipt that I obtain for my Full Australian passport for my residence permit application? ...

Hallo,

yes, it's possible and shouldn't be a problem.

Zitat:
My second question is, how is the 90 days in accordance with the Schengen Agreement calculated while I am awaiting an appointment at the Immigration Office?

As an Australian citizen, you must apply for your residence permit in accordance with §41 AufenthV within 90 days after entering Germany.

Due to §16 AufenthV (in conjunction with Appendix A of AufenthV and the the german-australian visa agreement listed there), only the length of stay in Germany would be legally used to calculate the time.
The problem with this is: When traveling within Schengen, you will not get a separate stamp in your passport (which you lost anyway).
Therefore, it is not comprehensible how long you have been in Germany, how long in Italy, etc.
In fact, due to the problem of proof, you are on the safe side when calculating your permitted length of stay, as long as the 90 days since first entering the territory of any Schengen country have not yet expired.

However, as soon as you have only submitted the application for a residence permit (= handed over the application), your stay is considered permitted on the basis of the residence permit you have applied for.
From this point on, you would therefore not claim any more days of the 90-day visa-free period.

In other words: the application only has to be submitted within 90 days (since entering Germany legally, since first entering the Schengen state in practice) and everything is in order.

Best regards

(Due to your privileged status, there would also be legal ways to extend the period significantly if necessary.
But that would be a bit complicated, especially if you are not sure of the German language when presenting the arguments and if you are not familiar with the german law in this regard.)

Zum Seitenanfang

Auch das Ausländerrecht in Deutschland gründet sich auf gesetzliche Grundlagen und ständige Rechtsprechung - nicht jedoch auf das Bauchgefühl des deutschen oder ausländischen Wutbürgers.

IP gespeichert

aus51%t?

i4a rocks!

Zeige den Link zu diesem Beitrag Re: Australian emergency passport for application for residence permit
Antwort #2 - 05.09.2022 um 13:44:07

Thanks for clearing this up.

In regards to the second point, submitting an application presumes that I have attended the appointment. I have 56 days left of the 90 days on the Schengen Visa - what if I am not able to book in an appointment within these 56 days?

This should not be a problem because I can do it via the University, where the University liaises with the Ausländerbehörde for an appointment, but what still what if your days have run out before actually getting to the appointment?
Zum Seitenanfang

IP gespeichert

T.P.2013
Silver Member

blubb

Im Norden, Germany
Im Norden
Germany
Stimmung:

Antwort #3 - 05.09.2022 um 18:15:29

In this case it would be sufficient to submit the application within the 90 days.

If, contrary to expectations, you do not get an appointment during this time, it is sufficient to send the application for a residence permit informally to the immigration office.

For example, by registered mail or by handing it over in person with the immigration office’s receipt stamp on your copy of the application.

But your university should be familiar with such scenarios for about 2 years.

Best regards.

(PS: Another emergency option would be to leave Germany, spend 1 day in another non-EU country (UK for example) and then re-enter Germany directly. The 90 days would then count again.
However, in order to argue this based on the legal situation, one would need the appropriate legal knowledge of the procedures and effects, e.g. of the AufenthV.
You should only flirt with it if nothing else works.
Then you would have to get in touch here again for the briefing...

Zum Seitenanfang

Auch das Ausländerrecht in Deutschland gründet sich auf gesetzliche Grundlagen und ständige Rechtsprechung - nicht jedoch auf das Bauchgefühl des deutschen oder ausländischen Wutbürgers.

IP gespeichert

aus51%t?

i4a rocks!

Antwort #4 - 07.09.2022 um 11:57:46

Thanks so much for your guidance!
Zum Seitenanfang

IP gespeichert

aus51%t?

i4a rocks!

Antwort #5 - 20.09.2022 um 10:02:48

Hello!

I apologise for the follow-up post.

When I emailed my university with this question, asking if I could use my emergency Australian passport for the residence permit application, they quickly and sternly replied saying an 'emergency travel document' will not suffice. I offered to call them to discuss my options seeing as though I have read online that this emergency passport IS able to be used, but they said no, there is no point in calling me. When I sent them all the links I sent above, they just sent me an automatic reply on the requirements of a residence permit.

I will go to the university in person when I arrive in Berlin and this may be easier to be able to speak to someone face to face. I wanted to know however what I can show them as the exact basis of me being able to use this passport? Because I am not dealing with the ABH directly on this matter, the university may not have dealt with this issue before and don't know the rules and therefore rejected me over email. It would be good to just have something in writing that they can read.

I also had another question; I have heard that you need 6 months validity on your passport in order to apply for a residence permit. Is this waived when you are applying with an emergency passport? I will have 5 months validity left on my passport when I apply. Also, I will have the receipt for application for a full Australian passport. This will arrive in Berlin hopefully within 8 weeks.

Finally, I have read about the bilateral wisa vaiver agreement with Germany and Australia. I do not wish to use this, but wanted to be familiar with it as a fall back option (as you have helpfully mentioned above). Again, can you use this agreement with an emergency passport that will not have 3 + / 6+ months validity on it from the date I wish to leave the Schengen Area (which is on the 25th February 2023)? On this website; https://op.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/c067e92d-5a8b-11e9-9151
-01aa75ed71a1 it seems to say that 'All Passports' that are Australian are accepted by Germany for this agreement.   

Thank you in advance for your help!

Zum Seitenanfang

IP gespeichert

mgb
Senior Top-Member

i4a rocks!

Beziehung zum Thema Ausländerrecht: Ich oute mich später
Staatsangehörigkeit: Deutsch
Antwort #6 - 20.09.2022 um 11:31:28

For the German-Australian Agreement take a look at the website of the german embassy in Australia.
https://australien.diplo.de/au-en/service/01-visa/short-term-visa/2073662#conten
t_1

The German-Australian Agreement in German is available from here:
http://www.westphal-stoppa.de/O-Gesetze/Australien.pdf

Sichtvermerk means visa.
Zum Seitenanfang

IP gespeichert

engelchen+
Junior Top-Member

i4a rocks!

Antwort #7 - 20.09.2022 um 11:45:37

You are making everything much more complicated than it needs to be.

Just make an appointment online with the ABH directly. By the time of your appointment you'll have your new passport.

Zum Seitenanfang

IP gespeichert

aus51%t?

i4a rocks!

Antwort #8 - 20.09.2022 um 17:14:06

Yes, making everything much more complicated than it needs to be tends to happen to people when they are distressed about losing a passport and needing a visa in a foreign country Smiley

Thanks for the links and the help!

Zum Seitenanfang

IP gespeichert

T.P.2013
Silver Member

blubb

Im Norden, Germany
Im Norden
Germany
Stimmung:

Antwort #9 - 21.09.2022 um 03:50:08

Hi,

all Australien "Emergency Passports" are generally valid for entry and stay in Germany.
I have just checked it again in the "Ausführliche Form" (Federal Police Working Document), which lists all the passports recognized and not recognized by the Ministry of the Interior. In this case: formal recognition of Australian Emergency Passports by the Federal Ministry of the Interior on January 17th, 2020.

In principle, a passport is at least "valid" for entry if it is valid for at least three months after the planned departure from the territory of the member states and was issued within the previous ten years. Klick.
This includes emergency passports as well.
In practice, the passport only has to be valid for the time allowed for the permitted stay.

In principle, a minimum validity of a passport (6 months) should not be required for the granting of a residence permit for legal reasons, at best for practical reasons.
Even if I don't know how the immigration authorities in Berlin might actually see it in the end - in view of the fact that you will be able to show a "fresh", long-term passport in the foreseeable future and be able to prove it, I see In this case I have no problem with / with the immigration authorities.

Relax a little Zwinkernd

Anyway - give us a feedback on how it went when this matter is settled.

Regards.
Zum Seitenanfang

IP gespeichert

aus51%t?

i4a rocks!

Antwort #10 - 21.09.2022 um 09:48:24

This definitely makes things a lot more clear. Thank you so much!

I will send an update on how things work out.
Zum Seitenanfang

IP gespeichert

Seitenindex umschalten Seiten: 1
Thema versenden Drucken

Link zu diesem Thema